Thursday, December 21, 2023

Recent book news

A minnow-pattern fly tied by my friend Glen up in Michigan. I'm showing it to one of my Loyola students, Morgan. Photo by Kyle Encar.

My book Fly-Fishing continues to generate new connections and ideas. 

I was asked to contribute the words for a short film by Henry Quirion. 

I did a 'lecture' for One Day University called "What's so great about Fly-Fishing? An A to Z Guide." (I put the word lecture in scare quotes because I don't typically lecture. It isn't my preferred mode, and I fear I failed miserably; I haven't watched this and so I can't even vouch for it!)

On the other hand, I wrote a short piece about my fly-fishing class at Loyola last winter, for The Conversation. Teaching that course caused some sort of pedagogical tectonic shift in me, one I'm still working to articulate. 

For me this little book has been a living example of how short crossover books can connect with wide, often unexpected audiences.

Unrelated, but not really, two things on my book Adventure: Liam Otten wrote a really sweet piece on it for The Source, including an actual adventure in Forest Park. And Jeannette Cooperman wrote a generous review of the book for The Common Reader.  

My two recent books nod to each together, and follow from Searching for the Anthropocene from four years ago.