Sunday, January 1, 2023

Three new pieces

I keep thinking about this ad that circulated for months online, last year: it's for a cozy clothes line, like pajamas and sweats, but sort of fancy. I discussed the ad briefly in my recent Real Review essay as an example of Poe's Law: without context, appearing as it does as a mere spot on the internet, it's impossible to know if it's sincere or ironic. But either way, one thing is clear: we agree that flying is by default uncomfortable. Cozy, really, on an airplane? That familiar slump in the seat? The fact that the airplane is waiting on the tarmac? (Notice the vertical stabilizer in the background, through the window? That plane is grounded!) Is there even such a thing as the "perfect airplane outfit," or is it a contradiction in terms? This seemingly simple little image is just overflowing with runaway connotations, and I can't leave it alone. My critique of air travel and its cultural representations won't quit. 

Three new pieces out:

At Times Higher Ed I contributed a reflection on the ways scholars can have public impact beyond social media.

I wrote a narrative commentary on my first flight since the pandemic started, which is up at Popula. 

And in the retro department again, I wrote about getting rid of my iPhone in exchange for a Light Phone II (which is great! I highly recommend it!), for Slate's Future Tense column. I am working on a longer piece on this topic, possibly the basis of my next book.